Not long ago, I set out to redo an old lampshade I had that had turned lumpy, dusty, and just not good. I wish I had a picture of the old one so you'd know just how bad it was.
Most of the problem was there was no structure in the old lamp shade, just one circular piece at the top, and another at the bottom, with only fabric between the two metal pieces. This was making the shade hang uneven and looked lumpy.
I cut the fabric off the original shade, and began to work on my new shade.
Here's what I used:
The metal parts of the original shade
Straightened wire hangers for extra structure.
You'll also need a hot glue gun, scissors and wire cutters.
First, I attached the top part of the original shade to the lamp, and measured to where I wanted the shade to end...about 12 inches.
I then used my handy dandy cutting mat to cut my (already ironed) burlap to the correct length (remember to allow extra to glue around the metal parts).
Before attaching the burlap to the shade, I glued a strip of hot glue on the back around all the edges to prevent fraying while I worked.
I used the hanger strips as "lamp shade boning," per se. I mainly needed to stiffin the shade between the top and bottom so it wouldn't end up lumpy like it was originally. Then I started glueing the circular pieces to the fabric.
I added more structure, because it was still appearing lumpy.
Once I was finished with the basic structure of my new shade, I topped it off by adding some embellishments.
On the top, I glued a brown ribbon to cover the fray and hopefully keep the fabric from coming undone.
On the bottom, I attached a floral white trim.
(This was actually supposed to be part of the garter that I never made...)
This burlap flower was attached to the wedding gift that Tyler's parents gave us. She basically wrapped our gift in things she thought I could craft with - which was a great idea!
Here it is completed!
I put it in our living room behind the couch so that it flips on with the light switch!
And there you have it - our lamp shade redo!