Saturday, December 1, 2012

Christmas Decorating in Apartment Living

After spending the past 5 years of my life in either dorms or apartments, I'm obligated to say that it isn't always charming.  Apartments are cramped, sometimes loud, usually lacking enough outlets, and generally not that attractive.  Well, I have lived in apartments built in the 60s for the past 3 years, so that might also explain this phenomenon.  

My current apartment is great, other than having some really odd design features.  The architect for this building probably didn't really care about the every day use of these apartments, so it seems like they just sort of went with it.  

For example, instead of extending the bedroom wall out to the structural post seen in the photo below, then using that small space for the door swing space rather than the door swing taking up valuable space in the rooms, they just left this random structural post in the middle of my kitchen.  It really is odd having this here.  I've come to use it to swing around the corner as I come out of my room...because I'm usually running out of my room...

Anyway, not long ago I had the grand idea to wrap it for Christmas decorating (since it is that hideous brown color) and cheer things up a bit.  Here's the before and after:

Our decorated structural pole....

Our apartment is actually seeing lots of holiday cheer.  My grandma gave this three foot Christmas tree to me my sophomore year.  It is really small, but looks great sitting in the middle of my dresser.  Plus, who doesn't enjoy a Christmas lit room rather than a normally lit room?
My bedroom tree!

I'll probably be singing Christmas carols on my way to bed...

We also have a bigger Christmas tree in our living room.  I love it.  Christmas lights really make things seem so much warmer.  :)
Our living room tree!

Do you also feel like Christmas decorations feel more like "home?"  Especially if living in a rented space?

For today's song, what's not to love about David Crowder Band's rendition of Feliz Navidad?



4 comments:

  1. What a clever idea to wrap your post! It's needs a huge bow!!! I just have a little 3 foot tree, but you know what it works for us. I load that baby up with ornaments too, it probably weighs more in ornaments than in tree right now! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PJ, I think a bow is a great idea! I might just have to add that to our pole today! Thanks for the suggestion...and yes, a 3 foot tree can certainly do when you put it in the right place. :)

      Delete
  2. hey there! thanks for stopping by and following-i am following back :)
    oh i love your blog name- let's do it, im drinking mine now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2012-2014 Saxon Smith (Let's Drink Coffee, Darling). All rights reserved.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-49062203-1