Saturday, May 19, 2012

My Engagement!

    As you might have noticed from my pictures, there is a man I love!  His name is Tyler.  He does so many sweet things for me.  When I cook, he asks how he can help.  He gives me plenty of reasons to laugh, talks to me when I feel sad, talks sense into me when I am angry, endorses my creativity, and attempts to help me retain some sort of a schedule (not that he has turned out successful on the latter).  He does my dishes for me when I am overloaded with homework, he spends time with me, if we can't be together to spend time, he talks to me on the phone for a little while.  While I studied abroad in China, he skyped me every day, sent me sweet emails, and even stalked my Pinterest to see things I like.  He picks me my favorite flowers, Indian Paintbrushes, when they are in season, and the rest of the time he brings me flowers from elsewhere.  He bought me a plant on Valentines day that I unfortunately killed, and forgives me for all the things I do, especially for expecting too much from him many times.  Basically, Tyler is really really wonderful.  I am so blessed to have spent the past 20 months dating and being in a relationship with Tyler, the past 4 years in friendship, and I now look forward to spending the rest of my life with him!  He loves Jesus, loves me, loves other people, and is the most kind and thoughtful person I know.  In today's post, I will share with you our engagement story!

     On May 15, 2012, I drove to Norman to meet Tyler at my apartment.  As I mentioned above, Tyler sometimes stalks my Pinterest.  He happened to find one of my pins called "Secret Starbucks Menu."  As you might gather from the name of my blog, we are both coffee fanatics.  Tyler printed the 'menu' and when we met we walked to Starbucks, which is one of our favorite places to hang out.

*Note:  Let's talk about a few of Tyler's quirks.
  1. Tyler has a track record of not finding out much information about date destinations before we are en route to the location of the date, of which location he does not know the location.  
  2. Tyler also really loves his GPS.  It is his friend, and he likes to use it, but often does not have enough information to use his GPS.
  3. If Tyler does not need to know the location, but perhaps the time, he uses the internet as his main source.  He believes the internet tells him the true closing time and makes his plans from there.
  4. Sometimes these quirks cause date complications.

     I love Tyler, and in all honesty, although sometimes these date-mishaps create short-term issues for our date, it only makes our dating stories more fun.  He once took me to a coffee distribution center instead of a coffee shop.  Oops. haha Okay, but enough picking on Tyler...back to the story.

    In case you didn't realize what happened based on my Tyler-tips, Starbucks was already closed upon our arrival. Tyler then invited me to walk around OU's campus and then go back to our car parked down the street.  While walking and talking, Tyler points out to an Indian paintbrush, my favorite flower, lying on the sidewalk.  Just down the side walk, there was another flower, and another, then another, and so on and so forth.  We keep walking until we both have a big handful and the flowers.  He stopped to tell me some sweet words, bent on one knee and asked me to marry him!  Isn't he sweet?!




 I said, "Of Course!"

  
 Thanks for Tyler's sister Kelsey for scattering the flowers and taking the pictures!  She did great!



Here is a picture I took of my flowers from the engagement and my ring together.  I love that I have such a sweet and thoughtful fiancé!  My ring is from the 1930s, and he says it is called a "Checkerboard Crossover."  One day when I have some time, I'll get my camera out and get a better focus and higher detail on the ring.




The two of us in the Spoon holder at the University of Oklahoma.  :)

    One last story, then I promise I will be done...for now.  If you are not familiar with the University of Oklahoma, we have a few superstitions by which most students live by.  One is that if you walk under the clock tower and look up, you will graduate late.  I never tested that theory, but it seems that as much as I avoided the clock tower, its curse still found me.  The legend of the spoon holder is another famous legend for Sooners.  It says that if you kiss someone while sitting in the spoon holder, you will absolutely, positively, for sure marry that person!  Right after he proposed we went and kissed in the spoon holder!

That's all for today, folks!  I am happily engaged to my 'coffee-darling!'  I look forward to sharing my wedding journey, as well as my life journeys along the way!

-Saxon

4 comments:

  1. This is precious!! So excited for the two of you!

    Trip down memory lane: "Sure I'll go with anyone!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, I guess that was only the beginning. haha I'm glad he isn't just 'anyone' anymore! Did you know when we went to banquet again last year he gave me flowers and the note said, "I'll go with anyone." bhaha...I guess I'll never get to let that one go. ;)

      Delete
  2. Thanks Kevin. I saw your LOST blog. Tyler and I are re-watching LOST now. Shall we wait to read your insights, I'm assuming there might be a few too many spoilers. :) See you two in just a few days at your WEDDING!!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2012-2014 Saxon Smith (Let's Drink Coffee, Darling). All rights reserved.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-49062203-1