Sunday, January 12, 2014

DIY Tic Tac Toe Board {Pottery Barn Inspired}

Are you looking for a great gift for your sweetheart, or a fun game to play with your kids?


Look no further, especially if your significant other loves to play games, loves handmade things from you, or just likes Xs and Os.  


Right before Christmas, I spotted this gem in my Pottery Barn catalog (I have a hard time calling them catalogs since I really look at them as home decor and inspiration magazines).  Tyler loves to play games, and had been hounding me for weeks to play something with him. 

This seemed like the perfect little gift for him that I could make.



Let's get started with a shopping list, shall we?

Materials:
9 - 1x1 inch blocks
1 - 4x4 inch platform
1 - 1/2 inch square dowel rod*
9 'O' Metal Letters
9 'X' Metal Letters

Tools:
Wood Stain
Wood Glue
A Drill
A Hand Saw
Sander*

*I also used a small round dowel that I had around for two of the sides because my blocks were fitting too tightly after staining.  If you want your encasement to have complete walls, I'd suggest sanding the 1/2 inch square dowel sides so that the blocks don't fit so tight.

I found the majority of my supplies at Hobby Lobby:  the blocks and platform were in the woodworking section.  The Xs and Os were in the clearance section, so you might have to find these elsewhere in the future.  It looks like they are still available HERE on the designer's website.

First off, you'll want to stain your blocks and platform.



 Put all 9 blocks on the platform for measuring purposes to ensure you don't get your walls too tight for them.




Cut the dowel.  The top of my platform was 4 inches by 4 inches.  I cut the two square dowels to the full 4 inches, and then the two round dowels to about 3.5 inches.  Stain them as well and let them have a good long dry before you start putting things together.



I didn't get photos of this process because I was rushing to get done before Tyler came home from work.  I'll explain the best I can.



I used small leftover pieces of the round dowel to create wooden pegs to keep the sides more firmly attached to the platform.  To do this, drill holes into the platform and into the bottom of the sides that is the size of the dowel rod.  You will insert a the round dowel into both holes and use wood glue to keep them in place.  I'd also run some wood glue along the bottom of the side wall when you attach it.  


If you're doing two ends the way I did with the round dowel, drill into each end of the interior of the sides.  Glue the dowel in place prior to final insertion.  It was somewhat complicated to get it all together in the end with glue and all, but you'll figure it out.  


 Put your adhesive letters on the blocks, and you're ready to play tic tac toe!  When placing the letters, it is my suggestion to make sure the grain of your blocks are going a similar direction for the best looking results.  I attached my letters on the end grain so the sides would be uniform.


These are pictures of the finished product!











51 comments:

  1. That's so clever, and looks beautiful too! You sure know your way around hardware shops and tools!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erica! Haha, I don't know that I'm that great with tools but I've been trying to learn one step at a time!

      Delete
  2. Very cute!! A way classier way of playing the game than just a pencil and scrap paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! Its actually surprising how many guests will pick it up and mess around with it - its such an easy and quick game that everyone knows how to play!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, I love this. I'll definitely need to do something sweet and clever like this for my husband this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be able to do something sweet for your hubby! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This is so crafty! What a great DIY gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! And much more fun than the paper and pencil way! We'll be featuring your tic tac toe board over at Someday Crafts tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miranda! My husband and I actually will play several games together several times a week...its nice to not need to use up paper and create trash to play it too! Thanks so much for the feature, I'll head over and look for it later today! :D

      Delete
  6. How fun! Thanks for sharing this great project at Share Your Stuff Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very fun! Thanks for linking up with us on Artisans Create at Simply BeBetsy.

    Sharon and Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, these are darling! I'd love if you came and shared at the Do Tell Tuesday party (live now) over at mabeyshemadeit dot com I'd love to feature them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invitation, Lisa! I just linked up! Thanks for stopping by today as well! :)

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I'm featuring you tonight; I hope you'll come link up again!

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much, I'll head over and check it out! :)

      Delete
  9. That's a wonder idea and great gift!. Thanks for sharing how you created it.
    Bonnie @ Our Secondhand House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! I'm glad you stopped by, and thanks for the Pinterest love as well! :)

      Delete
  10. you have
    a delightful blog
    and i think this is
    a super fun craft

    would love for you to share
    at Fridays Unfolded this week!

    Alison
    Nancherrow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today! - - Mandy, SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fab idea. These would look great as a living room accessory. I love homemade gifts and would be more than happy to receive this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment, Carolin! We actually do keep it in our living room or on the dining table...it gets lots of use in those places!

      Delete
  13. Very clever! It turned out awesome! Thanks for linking up with us at the Create Link Inspire party! You were featured today! http://www.marvelousmommy.com/2014/01/7-featured-diy-projects/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is awesome, I love it!! I am featuring you on Made in a Day on Thursday! Thanks so much for linking up last week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kim! I'll be sure to look for it on Thursday! :)

      Delete
  15. Fell in love with your tic tac toe game! I featured it at this week's Project Inspire{d} linky party. Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this tic tac toe board! So cute! Thanks for linking up to the "Hit Me With Your Best Shot Link Party!" Hope you will stop by again tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie, I enjoyed it and plan to link up again for sure! :)

      Delete
  17. I really just love this, such a darling idea!! Thanks so much for sharing with us! I featured you today <3 Hope you can make it back tonight to party with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Fotini! I'll definitely make it over, and thank you for the feature and your kind comment! :)

      Delete
  18. These are so cute! Great job. You've been featured on Friday's Five Features! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com/2014/01/fridays-five-features-no-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is beautiful! Thanks so much for linking this up at Sewlicious Home Decor! I pinned to the new Show=licious Pinterest board! I'd love for you to stop by and link up this week! :)

    Have a great weekend!
    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are one clever lady. I would love to see the look on your husband's face when he receives this gift. What an amazing gift for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks Lesley! I actually already got to see his face, I gave this to him for Christmas and put it up on the blog for Valentine's Day since he sometimes reads the blog I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise! He thought it was pretty neat! :)

      Delete
  21. What a cute Valentine Gift idea :)
    Thanks for sharing your tutorial on Tutorial Thursdays Linky Party this month. Your Tutorial will be a feature on Wednesday 29th January 2014.
    I look forward to seeing you again in the next month's linky.
    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft
    P.S: Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Natalie! (P.S. Thanks for the Pinterest and feature love!)

      Delete
  22. ah! i came over here from erica's blog and was reading about your sweet grandfather when i saw the picture of this and just went AHH.. so awesome! i'm definitely going to make it - a perfect coffee table game :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found me through Erica! She's so nice! We actually play it pretty often now that we have the board game, it is a game of no skill so anyone can play it and have a fair chance! :)

      Delete

Copyright 2012-2014 Saxon Smith (Let's Drink Coffee, Darling). All rights reserved.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-49062203-1