Sunday, January 26, 2014

DIY Love Birds Wooden Sign


Recently I've been making a few decoration changes to our apartment, as about a month ago I finally installed six shelves that were made by family members.  (I feel like "installed" fits the description better than "hang" because you don't just hang these shelves.  It takes a few hours of work and twice as many drywall anchors as there are screws - because the drywall anchors break with installation.)  

Okay, installation rant over.  But since I've gotten these shelves up, I've been trying to maneuver just the right decorations to go on them and under them.  This decoration was made to go under one of my shelves in the hallway.  (Although I like it so much now that I'm eyeing what I'm going to trade it with that is currently in my living room. haha)

First I started out with a piece of scrap pallet wood that I had already stained a few months ago.  Don't you just love the knot at the top?

I was inspired by this sign from etsy and decided to personalize it to what I was looking for!
I wrote the "love" in white lettering.  Using a pencil first helped me outline where my letters should go.

Next I sketched in the birds and color blocked them with white.  No pictures of the sketches because I could hardly see them with my eyes, so I know the camera wouldn't have picked it up.

Lastly - my favorite personal touch - is this blueish green color I painted the birds.  This paint is a free 8 oz Valspar sample that I got from Lowes (thanks to Tyler's grandma's coupon) and I just love the color!  The technical color is Redstone Blue Spruce for anyone who loves it too!

 My next favorite personal touch is the wire hanger I made out of a wire hanger.  Haha...pun intended!
As you can see, cut the wire to get it apart and straighten all the bends out of it.  
Wrap it around the end of the needle nose pliers (or other more uniform item if you have one) time after time until it is all curled.  
Once the whole wire is curled up, stretch it out to be the right length and curvature.  

Side note:  I'll be completely honest and tell you that this doesn't hang that well on a nail, nor is it likely to hang perfectly straight without being tweaked, but I do like the rustic look of it!  It does hang well on a hook, but still not straight unless you fix the curls so that one hangs perfectly in the middle.

 Now to fit your wire hanger into the wood, its time to get your drill.  Figure out which bit the wire matches most closely and drill into your sign with that bit.
Check and make sure your hanger fits into the holes.  Lastly, use some wood glue around the sides of the ends that will be inserted and stick them in and allow the wood to dry before hanging.

There is my lovely rustic love birds sign!  I just love the little birdies. 
I forgot to mention earlier that I went back and highlighted the edges of the birds with white so they would stand out better, as you can see in the above photo!

Here is where I hung my sign!  
I love that it is inside the frame that is actually painted the same color!
Psst!  You can read this post about repainting an old picture frame!
I think I have too many wood signs like this.  I should probably stop making them, but I'm an addict.  I just can't help myself.
post signature
P.S. I finally broke down and made a twitter account.  I swore I would never do this.
However, due to facebook's awful and changing business techniques, I feel Let's Drink Coffee, Darling may get better exposure with a twitter account.  The facebook account isn't going anywhere, but the addition of twitter is looking bright!
Come follow me on Twitter!

43 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I'm totally inspired, and have a plank lying around looking full of potential!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sign is so cute!! I really like the twisted wire you used as the hanger! That really takes it up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I love the way it looks although its really not that practical for hanging! haha

      Delete
  3. Adorable love bird sign and great tutorial too! It caught my eye over at the Bouquet of Talent party.
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this!! so pretty!

    Pinned and Now your newest follower

    Natasha @ Serenity You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Pinterest love and kind comment, Natasha! Thanks for following along!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for following along, Caroline! Looking forward to seeing you around! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's perfect!!! i'm going to definitely copy this great idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How creative!!! Love this! Your little birds are so cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your new sign and the birds. I love signs too. They are addictive. I am now following you on twitter.
    Have a great week,
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for your kind comment and the twitter love, Bev! Yes...signs are very very addictive! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Love this sign. It is simple and perfect. I'd love for you to come link up at The Makers going on now at TinySidekick.com. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Corey for your kind comment and the invite to the link party!

      Delete
  10. Very nice.. Freehand, wouldn't look like that if the hands were mine, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, freehand might not be for everyone...but you could always print out some little birds from the internet and cut them out and use as a stencil! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. This is beautiful, I love anything with birds and you make it look so simple.
    I am interested in how the twitter thing is going, I'll email you directly if that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got your email and sent one back! Yes...birds are just cute! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  12. Super cute! Thanks for sharing tutorial!
    Hope you have a wonderful week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really is a great idea! Love it so much I'm going to pin it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is soooo cute, and I love that you framed it! Stopping by from Hoyby Crafts, courtesy of the "Put A Bird on it" link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! And I'd say I definitely put a bird on it this time! ; )

      Delete
  15. This sign is so simple and cute! And I'm so excited to see you use a wire hanger...I have so many of those from the dry cleaner and have been looking for ways to use them up! Pinning now! ~Lisa @ Practically Perfect Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I have my parents give them to me for crafts when they get my dad's uniforms from the dry cleaner's! Thanks for stopping by, Lisa!

      Delete
    2. Hi Saxon! I'd like to feature your sign as one of my 'weekly wonders' in a post that goes out tomorrow morning. Let me know if that's a problem, otherwise, I hope you'll stop by! ~Lisa

      Delete
    3. Not a problem at all, Lisa! Thanks so much for a) featuring the sign and b) asking! Always appreciated! :)

      Delete
  16. Oh I just LOVE this <3 I pinned it and sent it to my daughter so she can make me one :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a great idea, that's what daughters are for and Mother's Day is coming up before too many months! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  17. Perfection!! I love the detailed tutorial! Thanks for linking up with us at the Create Link Inspire party! You were featured today!! http://www.marvelousmommy.com/2014/02/10-valentines-day-diy-projects/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Saxon ~ your sign is absolute sweetness! Thanks so much for sharing it at last week's Project Inspire{d} ~ this will be one of my features tonight. I hope you can joint the party again!

    Hugs,
    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stopping by from Cupcakes and Crinoline- I love this sign! So adorable and perfect. Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is right up my alley! I think your sign is just precious. Just pinned to my creativity board. Thank you for linking up last week to the Lovely Ladies link party, I wanted to let you know I've featured your sign this week at our new party! You can check it out here if you'd like http://bit.ly/1fuwRCU and we'd love for you to come by again. Have a great week.
    -Molly from Just a Little Creativity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Molly! I'll definitely have to check it out! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  21. I super love your sign and I'm pinning it so I can remember to make it!!! Thanks for the great idea and tutorial.

    Lori @ A Bright and Beautiful Life
    www.abrightandbeautifullife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'm so glad you like it! Hope you'll get a chance to make it yourself! :)

      Delete

Copyright 2012-2014 Saxon Smith (Let's Drink Coffee, Darling). All rights reserved.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-49062203-1