Friday, October 18, 2013

Puppy Withdrawal

It isn't often that I wish I had a dog. I can easily remind myself of how much work a dog takes, or how they always stink, drool on you, or do things you don't want them to...like eat things or get sick and cause expensive vet bills.  Not often does it happen, but sometimes...just sometimes (probably until I go to someone's house and encounter their dog) do I wish we had a puppy.

Tyler and I have talked about EVENTUALLY getting a dog...probably when we have kids who are old enough to play with one...which is quite a ways down the road!  I'd normally be a cat person, but Tyler is allergic to cats so I think dogs will be the only pets (besides fish) in our future.

When we get a dog, we won't be getting just any dog.  We especially won't be getting a small dog.  Nope, my hopes are that I can convince Tyler to let us get a Great Pyrenees one day!

Check out this cute video of a Great Pyrenees getting a bath...and such a great example of how much work they can be!

I can remember having to give our dogs baths when I was a kid.  I would leash them to the fence post to keep them from running off, but it still didn't keep them from wiggling so much that it was nearly impossible to give them a bath.  And I always ended up smelling more like a dog than they did!  But the fun part was putting them in the back of the truck to go for a super fun ride "blow dry" their hair!

These are two of the dogs that we had while I was growing up!  George on the left, Baine on the right.  We had another dog before these two named Jake, but that was back before the digital age (sort of), so I don't have any pictures of him on hand.  

George was rescued by my dad, because apparently George liked to chase cows at his old home and his old owners either had to give him away or put him down (sad).  He was a great addition to our family, and was a really gentle and sweet dog.

We got Baine when he was a puppy - he was a miracle dog!  It turned out he had hook worms when we got him, so within a week he got seriously ill.  We took him to the vet, and they said he wouldn't live without a blood transfusion.  I didn't grow up in a household with a lot of money, so that was simply something we couldn't afford.  My mom did some research, fed him chicken livers and an iron supplement made for cows and the "little" guy pulled through it!  I think that little incident may have stunted his growth a bit, but he was a great dog!  

One of my favorite things about these dogs is how gentle they are - they're gentle with people, and usually with other animals.
via
Our dog, Baine, would let a neighborhood stray cat come sleep on him.  We also had a goat for a short time, so when we looked in the back yard, there would be the dog, then the goat sleeping beside the dog, then the cat sleeping on top of the dog.  I wish I had a picture, because it was hilarious.

I love this picture of the Great Pyrenees with a litter of kittens sleeping on it!
via
I grew up with Great Pyrenees's, Tyler had Golden Retrievers.  Both are great breeds....I'm still holding out that we'll get a Great Pyrenees just because I've had them in the past and like them.  Golden's are too, but I guess I just haven't had a sentimental attachment to them yet...besides my in-law's dog.

While we're on the topic of dogs, I also have a confession:  I'm addicted to dog shaming.
 I mean, seriously...this is hilarious!  Have you seen or heard of dog shaming yet?  Its where when someone's dog does something bad, the owners will make a confession sign and hang it on the dog, take a picture, and post it on the internet under the hashtag #dogshaming.  There really isn't a funnier thing to me right now.

Take a look at a few of my favorites for yourself...
via
via
via
I almost want a dog just so that I can dog shame it...just because dog shaming is hilarious.
If you have a dog, please take dog shaming pictures so I can laugh at them.

Maybe the concept of dog shaming will still be around in another 10 years when we get a dog?  Ehh...the internet will probably not even be called "internet" by then.


What are your thoughts on dog shaming?  I hope you think it is hilarious too!


P.S. If you're wondering why I have not been posting my usual posts recently, it is because I have been/will be really busy for the past week and for the next 3 or so weeks!  If you're here to see crafts or wedding posts, please check out my archives until a week or two!  I promise as soon as this busy spell is over we'll be back in normal crafty business! :)  Until then, I hope you'll be able to enjoy getting to know a little bit more about my past, day-to-day life, and future hopes!

10 comments:

  1. OMG the Great Pyrenees looks like my dog, he's a black lab/newfoundland mix, he's got the long hair and nose and etc. Luckily my boyfriend loves dogs so when we get our own place we will be getting a big dog. He has now adopted my dog as his own LOL♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've always thought Newfoundlands and Pyrenees looked similar too, just different color. I have heard the Newfoundlands really love water...which is the opposite of every Pyr I've had! haha I can't imagine a big dog in our little apartment...we'll probably wait until we have an adequate yard since neither of us really want house dogs. That's great that you both like dogs...wish the hubster wasn't allergic to cats or I promise that we'd already have one. :)

      Delete
  2. I think dog shaming is pretty funny, but it in no way makes me want to own one! If I'm going to go to all that work, I'd rather have a baby! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I would definitely enjoy seeing a good friend shame their pet. Even if it is out of style in 10-ish years when we decide to get a dog, I'll probably still do it. It is just too funny. Dogs and babies are a ways off for both of us! ;) But we did decide that since we want a dog that big, we'll have to have the baby first and let it grow as to not be trampled by the sweet but ever so clumsy Great Pyrenese. lol

      Delete
  3. I WANT A DOG SO BADLY!!!!!!! (And a baby too...) Yeah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which comes first, a dog or a baby? ;) haha While I do kind of sort of just a little bit want one, I think I can continue talking myself out of it. I just need a friend with a Great Pyrenees I think. haha

      Delete
  4. Such pretty dogs! My husband and I have a 2 year old lab - he keeps us busy!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet so! Labs are really hyper...one big reason I like the Pyrenees is because they are pretty darn lazy. haha Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I am a true cat person but I love your post and those dogs are so cute! I couldn't handle the smell and drooling all the time. Cute pics at the end with the signs! Visiting from Meet & Greet Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnnMarie, that's exactly why I could never have an indoor dog! Cats are okay with me indoors (because cats generally don't stink that bad), but not dogs. They can stink as much as they want being outside. :)

      Delete

Copyright 2012-2014 Saxon Smith (Let's Drink Coffee, Darling). All rights reserved.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-49062203-1